Success in crops co-cultivation depends on several important conditions. However, the right choice of plant species is decisive. Several factors should be taken into account that affect the interaction of plants both under and above the ground:
- belonging to a botanical family, so that the accompanying plant, pre-, after or mid-crop does not spoil the crop rotation system
- nutritional requirements (preferably similar or similar in a given field)
- requirements for light, water
- habit, height, width of plants
- root system structure, width and depth of roots
- susceptibility to diseases and pest infestation.